Surgery date recieved

 It was the best news I could have asked for. I finally have a date for my surgery.

End of last year, my doctor told me that I would need a hysterectomy to treat my endometriosis. We are hoping it’ll stop or slow down the growth. Reduce pain and give me my life back. While there, they will also remove the endometriosis we know has grown since my last surgery a few years ago. 

It was a shock. Good news and weird feelings. I have been wanting this surgery since I was 18. I knew then I didn’t want to have any kids. Keeping my uterus just seemed pointless. Plus, by 18 I was going through Hell with my periods. Of course, every doctor and person in my life said “you’ll change your mind about wanting kids. One day you’ll want them etc”. The doctors always refused. 

Now that I’m finally getting it. I’m mixed emotions, not because I have changed my mind about wanting children. Because I’m worried about recovery and “after” symptoms. 

This surgery is more invasive. Which means a longer recovery time. More chances for things to go wrong or have complications. I’m also worried about my mental health. I could have a hormone imbalance or depression after due to hormones. All treatable. But still makes me nervous to think about. 

I was on vacation with my mom. We were cruising the Gulf of Mexico en route to Mexico. Another mother/daughter trip. The day before we were exploring the ruins of Tulum. Now we were back at sea. Mom was getting a massage, I was wandering the ship to keep myself busy. I’m on the deck, enjoying the sunshine, listening to music. We had decided to unplug a bit. So I was on my phone minimal. I had my ringer off. I happened to be scrolling thru songs when a phone call notification popped up from my doctor. I was shocked it came through and I wasn’t expecting to hear from them for a few months. 

I answered. They had been trying to get ahold of me since the day before. Oops, ringer off and being in a different country made it so my calls weren’t received. 

They had a date for my surgery finally. Next year, however, they had a cancellation again, if I wanted it, it was mine. I didn’t care what the date was, I just said yes. May 11. 10 weeks away. I had luck bless me with an earlier date.

In April I have an assessment phone call and a week before I’ll need to complete bloodwork. But it looks like I’ll finally be getting the hysterectomy I’ve wanted since I was 18.

Hopefully, this will help with my pain? Maybe remove it entirely? Who knows. 

Comments

Popular Posts