Flare up management ideas
Flare ups are common among individuals with Endometriosis. Unpredictable and intense, they often cause individuals to become bed ridden from pain. A flare up is when Endometriosis is inflamed and swollen. Symptoms can be: extreme pain in pelvis for long periods, rolling intense pain(stabbing feeling), intense hot painful feeling in pelvis, pain in ribs(feels like they’re broken), painful constipation, back/leg/shoulder pain, headaches, nausea, food sensitivity and more.
Here are some strategies I use to help when I’m having a bad Flare up.
* Cancel work or whatever plans I had. If I can’t stand, I can’t do anything.
* Lay down as comfortably as I can. Most often that’s on my side in the fetal position.
* Get a Heating pad. I start off on the lowest setting but adjust to what I need.
*Dr Ho or a similar product. Game changer. Helps relaxes muscles when flare ups occurring.
* Light stomach massage. My Endometriosis causes chronic bloating and constipation. I use lotion and massage in small circles going clockwise following my abdomen.
* Ibuprofen or Tylenol. I take these to help with the head aches caused from Flare ups. It doesn’t do anything for the pain for me.
* Pelvic Physiotherapy. I had a physiotherapist for about 4-5 months and they taught me different stretches, positions to sit etc to help with pelvic muscles tensing.
* Acupuncture massage. Can assist with pain or muscle tension.
* Back massages. In the kidney areas and shoulders. I do not know why but massaging my kidneys seems to release some of the tension in my stomach muscles. Flare ups also cause pain in shoulders, neck and back.
* Hot bath or hot tub. This is to help relax my entire body. The hot water feels nice on my stomach. Sitting position is comfortable.
* Light yoga stretches. This is if I can tolerate the pain. Again, trying to stop the muscles from tensing.
* Reflexology. My husband helps with this. But there are certain pressure points in the foot that can assist with digestion etc. Endometriosis can affect the digestive System on many individuals.
* Cooling cloths. I tend to overheat from flare ups or from the heating pads. Cooling cloths help stabilize the bodies temperature.
* Eat bread. Flare ups take a lot physically. But your also throwing up. To help with nausea and to give you energy eating bread with peanut butter or jam seems to help.
* Drinks lots of water. I tend to over heat with flare ups. Water helps keep me cool and hydrated. If I’m throwing up and nothing is in my stomach, dry heaving is worst. So at least I don’t have an empty stomach. Flare ups are often muscles tensing, water helps rehydrate your muscles.
* Comfy clothes. I don’t even try and look cute. I feel like a whale and everything hurts. So I wear whatever I’m most comfortable in.
* Try going the bathroom. This may not help at all, but Endometriosis can cause chronic constipation. It may relieve some of the pressure.
* Try and sleep. Often a flare up exhausts me so much, that I can no longer focus on the pain due from the physical activity that leads to extreme exhaustion. When sleeping your body can relax. Your Flare up may tense less.
If you have any ideas or suggestions on how to help treat a flare up, let me know!
Comments
Post a Comment