Finally found a surgeon who listened!
Well the world went to shit really fast. At this point Covid showed up in the world and Canada shut down in March. Just like that. All my appointments were postponed until an unknown time. All My therapy was stopped as well! Everything, I couldn’t get any help for anything. For the first 5-6 months of Covid, I was a depressed mess. Crying non stop as I couldn’t seem to get any help now. But the world was turned upside down. I had to wait. People were dying! So like the rest of the world, I sat and waited for things to get normal again.
Finally, after 7 months, doctors started seeing patients in person again! My appointment was now booked for August! A few more weeks of waiting and I’ll get my meeting.
Finally the day came, I was meeting with my first female surgeon. I had all my paperwork ready to go. But to be honest, I wasn’t happy, excited or relieved. I honestly just figured it would be like every other appointment I’ve been too. They look, they comment then they dismiss me.
I drove an hour and a half to see this surgeon. I’m willing to go anywhere for help at this point.
As I sat in the waiting room. My anxiety was extremely high. I had fidgets with me but they were doing little to calm my mind. I was super depressed by this point, overeating, barely sleeping, no interest in life. I honestly wanted to find a hole to just lay in and never move.
The kind receptionist called my name, it was finally my turn. I walked in cautiously with not much expectations other than to be dismissed. The doctor sat down with me, went through all my symptoms in great detail with me, all my past medication, every test I have tried and more importantly, she listened! I don’t know how long I was there but I was with her for at least an hour. By the end of the appointment, she looked me in the face and said “I believe you, I think you have Endometriosis and we need to schedule a Laparoscopy surgery”.
When I tell you, I cried, I’m not kidding. She listened to me and told me she believed me! Before I left that appointment, I had a treatment plan and she would call me within a week with a date for surgery. She said hopefully before Christmas. Sadly, Due to Covid, non emergency surgeries were all postponed and on hold by government order. She called me that week to inform me of all this. I would have to wait until the government opened up elective surgeries again. When that would be, we had no idea.
So I FINALLY had a surgeon who was willing to do my surgery! But due to the Pandemic….I must continue to wait. How long will it be until I can get in? Whoever said patience is a virtue, clearly didn’t have a chronic pain illness that was ruining their daily life. But, I am more stubborn then anything. So I waited for the phone call, that would give me the news I had been fighting for. I would wait however long, I needed to have my answers and I needed to get treatment started. And so, I waited.
Comments
Post a Comment