Phantom Flare ups

I have heard of Phantom pain before. My understand it was for more trauma situations. Loosing a limb or very very invasive intense surgery. 

Guess what, it can happen with many things as I found out.

After my surgery last year, once I was fully recovered. I continued to have flare ups regularly. Couldn’t move, sick and just constant pain. I was confused. The doctor had said the surgery was a success. They got it all. So why was I hurting so much? I know my flare up pain and it was flare up pain. But it made no sense. What is there to flare up if they cut it all out?
 There was no way it could have returned that fast. In less than a year, I didn’t have that aggressive of a case. It made no sense. 

Another appointment with my surgeon was what answered those questions. Phantom pain, my body has taught itself over the last 15-20 years to be on the defender against flare ups. It was always in fight mode. My body was reacting as if the endometriosis was flaring up, even tho it wasn’t. My body had spent more time fighting and protecting that it didn’t know how to relax. My body has never had a time to relax because it always had to work. Luckily it means I can treat phantom pain. I just have to get my body to work with me. Because if/when the endometriosis comes back, how will I know it is? If I have had phantom pain. 

Endometriosis has taken enough from me. I finally had a surgery and I wasn’t going to let it take my recovery from me too. 

As in my previous post, I have started a new pelvic floor therapy to address it, breathing exercises, stretching and I hope to try yoga. Slowly I can tell my body is relaxing as I do my exercises overtime. It’ll take weeks or months, maybe a years. I don’t know or care. I want my life back and I’ll put the work in. Phantom pain is just another step in my journey. But sadly I was not warned about it or have even heard other Endowarriors talk about it. We need to talk about it! So here I am, I am an Endo warrior who successfully had surgery to remove my Endo. I suffer from phantom pain because it took too long to diagnosis and treat me. I am not ashamed or embarrassed. 

Comments

Popular Posts