Surgery # 3

 I was preparing my bag to go to the hospital. Excited, scared and nervous. This was going to be the 3rd time I had surgery for endometriosis. Honestly, i just wanted it done. 

No more food or drinks after midnight.

In the morning, i showered with the special soap i had to purchase. My mom and I loaded into the car and off we went. Arriving at 9am as instructed, I checked in and was sent to a waiting room. I got hooked up to some IV’s and changed for surgery. I hate the gowns. They wanted me to not wear anything underneath. I knew I would have to wait a bit. Instead, I brought underwear with the intent to throw them out just before surgery. It made me feel a little less exposed. 

I played on my switch for an hour. I was starting to feel nauseous from lack of food and water. 11am came and went. They were running behind. My anxiety was starting to build up. I did my best to keep my mind distracted. 

Finally, they called my name again. Around 12:30pm. I gave my mom a hug and followed the nurse. She could tell I was uneasy. She started asking me questions about my life to get me talking. It helped a little. I was put into another waiting room. I was only there for a few minutes and my surgeon came out. He went over the procedure with me, let me know what would happen in emergency etc and off he went to prepare. 

The nurse came back, bless her, she kept me distracted by asking me questions and joking with me.

I was brought into the surgery room. It’s so big and bright. So white. Machines everywhere. Nurses prepping. It’s unnerving to walk into. She brought me over to the surgical table and helped me lay on top. Right away I started shivering. It could have been from the cold or anxiety. I’m not sure. She covered me in a heated blanket. That helped calm my nerves. 

The doctors came over and hooked me up to some IVS and machines. Asked for my consent for the surgery and to be put under. I gave it. The last thing I remember, was that sweet nurse holding the mask on my face, warm feeling in my arm and talking about how excited I was for summer.

Then nothing.

I woke up to some beeping and a little groggy. A new nurse was right there. She reminded me I had surgery and was in the hospital and ok. She asked how I was feeling. I looked at her and started dry heaving. It was brutal. I couldn’t stop. Nothing was coming up, I had nothing to bring up. But the nausea was horrific. The nurse gave me something to help, within a few minutes I felt better. She brought me some juice and told me she had let my mom know I was awake. 

Slowly I became clear headed. I was so thirsty. I had a few drinks to help. My mom arrived all smiley. We were both happy it went well. The nurse checked my incision sites and helped me change into my own clothes. I wanted out of that gown. I put on some deodorant and used baby wipes to feel somewhat clean. The nurse kept checking on me often. My surgeon came and talked to my mom and I about the surgery. 

It was a successful hysterectomy. They had found endometriosis throughout my pelvis again and on some organs. They cleaned it up. A few cysts were taken care of also. I was able to keep my ovaries. I was so happy to hear that. The endometriosis was growing on the outside of my appendix aggressively, so that organ was removed also. Surprise! I had 5 incisions sites, one in my belly button, 3 on my lower pelvis and one up my vagina. I can’t see that one and frankly I don’t want too. 

About an hour later I had to pee. The nurse helped me walk to the washroom. Ahhh relief. Also means I get to go home! We were waiting for me to pee to make sure I was okay. Once I peed, I was good to go home.

My mom went to get the car, a lovely gentleman brought a wheelchair to where I was and helped me in. He asked if I wanted a popsicle for the road. Of course I did. Blue raspberry, my favourite, sounds perfect. He brought me to the front where my mother was waiting. She asked where I got the popsicle and I told her it was my treat for being a good patient. 

She helped load me into the car and we thanked the gentleman. I had to place a pillow across my stomach under the seat belt for comfort. 

I made it home and laid down in a comfy chair and passed out. 

I then spent the next 3 days sleeping, having my mom and friends make sure I took my medication and eat, then slept some more. I was a zombie and out of it. 

But I finally had the surgery! Will this mean the endometriosis won’t grow back? Will I finally be free? Will it grow back? I don’t know. I’m hopeful and feeling positive this will give me a pain free future. 

Comments

Popular Posts